Tuesday, June 4, 2013

And I'm proud to be an American.

Question: Why do we, as citizens of the United States, lay claim to the term "American?"

It was something that had never fazed me until a fellow citizen said something along the lines of "well in America...." to our tour guide in Costa Rica and got somewhat "schooled." He informed us that Costa Ricans are also Americans. At first I thought it a little strange, because I was so accustomed to American=United States Citizen. But really, it makes sense. All of the citizens of all the countries of North, Central, and South America are, in fact, Americans.

We don't somehow own the term, and I can see how it would be offensive. We are not the only Americans. Those from Canada, Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica, Guatamala, etc are also from America.

And just as proud to be an American as you.

1 comment: