Monday, June 24, 2013

¡Salsa Lizano!

Edit: 6.25.13 19:14 EST: I forgot to add a few things. A) Salsa is actually the spanish word for sauce, so do not expect this to be something for dipping chips. This is meant to be eaten on foods. B) This recipe contains no preservatives, unlike the actual Lizano, so will not keep as long. This can be kept for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator, or can be frozen.

If you have ever been to Costa Rica, one thing you may remember is Salsa Lizano. This unique greenish-brown sauce can be found on nearly every table in the country. I tell people Lizano sauce there is like ketchup is in the USA. They put it on everything, and if you visit, so should you! There isn't much that can't be improved by a dash (or ten) of Lizano!

I love Costa Rica, and I love its food. So upon my return, one of the first things I did was look up recipes for Gallo Pinto. This is a delicious, protien packed, filling dish that you can get at nearly ever meal in CR. I found recipes, and while it was good, it was definitely lacking something. That something was Salsa Lizano.

Well, I was able to find a website that let me buy online, I purchased 6 bottles, and I was set. Until a few months ago that is, when I ran out. (I'm pretty sure by the time I used up the last one it was about a year past the expiration date but eh, still tasted fine!) I really did not want to pat to buy more online (it costs about 5x as much online even before figuring in shipping than it does in Costa Rica), so I searched out a recipe online. I found one here, and it was actually quite delicious and authentic! Did a little tweaking based on what I could find at walmart, and took pictures for your enjoyment (sorry about the strange layout, blogger is really weird that way).

The cool thing about this recipe is that the only ingredients I needed to purchase were the peppers and the molasses. I had the rest in my cupboard and fridge. So I definitely saved a lot of money over buying the actual sauce! I doubled the recipe, so you won't need quite as much of anything as shown in the pictures.



Lizano-style Salsa
makes ~2 cups

1 can Chipotle Peppers (you will only need 1-2 of the peppers for the recipe)
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 small yellow onion
1 4-inch piece thick carrot, chopped
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons fine salt
2 teaspoons molasses
1 cube Knorr vegetable bullion



1. Chop the onion and carrots, set aside.
2. Add the chili peppers to a pot, heat until they begin to sizzle.
3. Add the water and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes.
4. Remove from heat. Add the peppers and 1 cup of chili water to your blender or food processor.
5. Add the rest of the ingredients and process or blend briefly.



Thats it! Add to rice, beans, meat, etc and enjoy! I suggest if you like a spicier sauce, use 2 peppers, and if you want it to be more authentic, try one. I did 4 1/2 for my double batch, and it was delicious but definitely more of a kick than real Lizano.

Also, I definitely suggest you go to Costa Rica and try the real thing!!!


Chilis stewing in the pan. I used 5 instead of 4 for my double recipe because the one was so tiny, and we like spicy anyways!
After adding the water.

All ingredients in my Ninja Master.
After blending.

Finished sauce. Not the same color as real Lizano, but a very similar taste!
And here it is on my food. Yummo!

No comments: